Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Who's John the Baptist?

As part of the format I've developed for teaching Catechism, I introduce the children to a different saint at the beginning of class every week. Today we learnt about St. John the Baptist. Before I said anything about him I asked them to put up their hands if they knew who St. John the Baptist was. One little boy's hand shot up in the air (in fact his whole body shot up and he was jumping up and down with his hand in the air). "Ok, who's St. John the Baptist?," I asked the child. . .

"He's the guy who didn't know how to untie shoes!"


I was a little confused at first until I realized. . .

"John answered them, "I baptize with water; but among you stands one whom you do not know, even he who comes after me, the thong of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie." (John 1:26-27)