Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Time Travel Preferences

Fr. Finigan tagged me with this one:

If an angel could take me back in time, what five things or occasions would I like to experience?
I'll ignore Biblical events because I don't think I could narrow that down to five. I'll follow his lead and ignore Biblical events - nevertheless, I can't bear to limit the list so I'll do a secular one and a sacred one

SECULAR
1. Running alongside Terry Fox on the last day he was able to run his Marathon of Hope.
2. Exploring the Canadian Maritimes and the St. Lawrence River basin (first European exploration of Canada) with Jacques Cartier in 1534. Minus the fact that I wouldn't want to be on a ship with sailors for that long.
3. Having an evening meal at the Eagle and Child with the Inklings.
4. Exploring North America's Pacific Coast with Captain George Vancouver. (Once again, I don't like the idea of being stuck on a ship with sailors, but other than that. . . I'd love to be on this voyage!)
5. Standing on a street corner discussing virtue with Socrates.

SACRED
1. Witnessing the Papal Conclave of October 1978.
2. Being present at St. Therese of Lisieux's profession at the Carmel in Lisieux.
3. Talking over breakfast with St. Edith Stein the morning after she'd stayed up all night reading the autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila (which brought her to the point of conversion).
4. Being present at the First Council of Nicea in 325.
5. Attending Mass celebrated by St. Alphonsus Liguori.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tag T.O., Young-Philothea, and Danny.