Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

1 Year


Apparently today is my "first Birthday" of blogging, if there is such a thing.

I'm celebrating today with a family day. I slept over at my Oma's last night to give my Opa a chance to sleep at our house (and therefore get a good night's sleep). I stopped counting after my Oma got up sixteen times during the night. I have no idea how my 87 yr old grandfather is able to keep going day after day after day of sleepless nights. I'm truly in awe.

I then ended up going on a walk with my mom down to the waterfront early this morning and getting a coffee. Then off to Mass and the Life Chain. The Life Chain went well I think. There were probably about fifty people there participating, which isn't much, but I suppose for a small town it's alright. Doing the Life Chain in a small town is a very different experience from the city. In the city people tend to be much more hostile and sometimes there is even organized opposition. . . in the small town there seems to be less opposition, but that being said, you know many of the people driving by so in that sense it's more challenging. In the span of the hour we were standing on the street with signs that said "Abortion Hurts Women" and "Abortion Kills Children" several of my old teachers, family friends, and neighbours all drove by. I think the most interesting reaction I saw today was a young mom who stopped in front of me waiting for the street light to change colours. She looked at me and was shaking her head. . . and yet, in the back seat of her car, her little baby girl, maybe a year and a half old, was smiling at me and waving.

Anyways, I'm off to do some yard work and go out for dinner with the family, and then back to school tomorrow.