Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Day After

So what did I do for my Birthday?

Well, I woke up early and had breakfast and opened some presents. I then went to Mass early so that I could spend some time in prayer before Mass and then was blessed to be present at a Mass in memorial of St. Ignatius of Loyola. This was followed up by running home, getting changed and jumping on my bike. My mom took the day off from work and we decided we'd go biking on a nearby Island so we rode down to catch the ferry boat. We were early though and so had time to pick up a coffee near the ferry terminal. By then the sun had come out and was starting to shine, which was a wonderful surprise since the forecast had called for rain. At this point, the makings for a good day were already in place. As I've said before, a good day starts with morning prayer, Mass, sunshine, and coffee. . . these must come in that particular order.

So, we took the half-hour ferry ride to the island and started to bike. Up and down. Up and down. I sure didn't remember the island having that many hills before. But apparently it does. When you weren't going up, you were going down. I couldn't even enjoy the downhill parts because I knew I'd have to bike back up them on the way back! We biked out to a beautiful restaurant right across the road from the beach. It was an amazing view and we were the only ones there when we arrived. We then turned around and biked back to the ferry terminal. We were early for our ferry back so we had time to poke around some interesting art galleries nearby. We then got on the ferry and made our way back home. By the time we got back we'd biked 50 kilometers!

We then got showered and dressed up and drove to a small nearby fishing/hippy/ecotourism village for dinner. We went out for dinner at a beautiful restaurant; once again it was waterfront with an amazing view. . . as I'm sure you can tell by my summer posts, I love being near the water. Dinner was fantastic. After we got home we went out for a long walk along the beach at sunset. Sounds romantic doesn't it? Not so much so with your mom, although still enjoyable.

Anyways, that was my day yesterday. Now back to reality.