Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Reconciliation and Penance

I was poking around the Vatican today (by poking around I mean surfing the Vatican website of course) when I discovered Reconciliatio et Paenitentia, an apostolic exhortation by Pope John Paul II on Reconciliation and Penance. It's always exciting to find something new to read by our late Holy Father. It's like finding a hidden treasure. I doubt I'll ever run out of "new" things to read by him in this lifetime. Or at least for a long time yet. I'm a living example of a generation that continues to be shaped by him.

And so, for the quote of the day, coming from Reconciliatio et Paenitentia:

"
The restoration of a proper sense of sin is the first way of facing the grave spiritual crisis looming over man today. But the sense of sin can only be restored through a clear reminder of the unchangeable principles of reason and faith which the moral teaching of the church has always upheld." (18.)