Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Family Day

Yesterday afternoon I abandoned the school work that I should of been doing but wasn't really doing to go into the city to have dinner with my family. My oldest brother is moving to Japan indefinitely (hopefully not forever) in a few days and so my parents made the trip down to say bye to him and we all got together last night.

Before dinner we went to get a family picture taken since our most recent family picture is from eight years ago. We decided to have fun and went and got it done at one of those old-style places where you get to dress up. We went with the mobsters and flapper girls theme. It was interesting, that's for sure. Hmmm... yeah, they have you use props and so we're all holding alcohol bottles, cigarettes, and guns. I had a hard time not laughing at the absurdity of that since no one in my family smokes, we don't really drink much (other than the occasional glass of wine with dinner), and we've never owned guns, even toy guns. Ah well, the picture turned out well and it was fun.

Afterwards we went out for dinner at a nice Japanese restaurant. It had been a long long long time since we'd all been together so it was really nice to spend a couple hours together as a family. As we were sitting at the table I was looking around at my brothers and sister and I realized "Wow, we're not kids anymore." It was a strange moment of revelation. We're all grown-ups. Scary. Very scary. I feel as if we should still be playing in the tree fort in the backyard, chasing each other around the house with hockey sticks, and paddling around on logs at the beach. I guess those days are over.