Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Good Question

As I think I've explained before, I attend a Catholic college that is associated with a larger private Evangelical university. I take almost all my courses in Philosophy and Theology from the Catholic college (all taught in full accordance with the magisterium by very faithful Catholic faculty) while I take other courses (such as French and Spanish) at the Protestant university.

Every morning between 11:00am - 11:45am there are no classes scheduled because there is a "Chapel Time" in the university's gymnasium. It usually involves a couple praise and worship songs and a short talk. On Friday's the entire time is praise and worship music and way more people show up on Friday's than any other day. All students are strongly encouraged to attend. I rarely go to this though since we have a real chapel (with the Blessed Sacrament!) at the Catholic College and we've managed to recruit priests from the area to come say Mass for us during this time on most weekdays. Having Mass during the middle of a stressful day of classes certainly helps you put everything in perspective!

Anyways, today a student from the Protestant university asked her fellow students the following question in a student discussion forum:

"Two friends of mine told me that they do not agree with the Praise and Worship Music that is played at Chapel every Friday because of people's reactions to how they praise Jesus is superficial and heretical. In addition, one thinks that a worshipper is praising the rock band/concert rather than God. Is God present in the gym every Friday at 11:00am? What are your view points."

I'm contemplating my response. I'd invite them all to Mass at the Catholic College where God is present in flesh and blood and where there is not rock band/concert to worship but unfortunately our chapel can't hold that many people. Yet another reason why we need a new building.