Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Remember to Pray for Them

Today, as I was travelling back from visiting my family for the weekend, I went to noon-day Mass at a parish that I don't normally attend.

At the end of Mass the priest said he had something he had to say. It was obvious that he was struggling to speak and choking up a bit as he took of his glasses to wipe his tears. He told us that he needs our prayers. He said he's been a priest for fourteen years, but he's "just a simple man who needs your prayers." "Please pray for me, I need your prayers," he said. It was a very sincere and earnest request for prayers.

Now, I don't know this priest at all, I don't even know his name, but I will certainly be praying for him, and I ask that you do the same. Please remember to pray for your own parish priest and the many priests who have brought Christ and the Gospel into your life in various ways.

I don't know exactly what this priest who requested our prayers today is struggling with, and it doesn't matter. All that matters is that he needs our prayers. I think it was a good reminder to me that all priests need our prayers.