Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

March Madness

Why do things always get so crazy around mid-March? It's the go crazy time of year I guess.

I'm feeling really overloaded right now. Probably because I am. I'm not doing too well on the whole eight hours of sleep a night thing. My emotional / academic / social / psychological / physical / interpersonal / spiritual life is suffering. Not in that order. I'm an integrated being - everything is under pressure. My life in general is maxed out right now. This probably has something to do with eighteen semester hours (six full courses) and way too many extracurricular activities. I'm a horrible "can't say no" kind of person. That means I'm way too busy right now.

Only a few more weeks. Exactly one month from Saturday I will be done the semester. Unfortunately I'm taking three courses in the spring starting the Monday after final exams. Oh well. It'll be a little more sane then.

A day in my life? Got up at 5:00am to work on paper. Fell asleep again. Reading at 5:00am in bed? Of course I fell asleep. Got up at 6:00am and actually worked a bit. Shower. Breakfast on the run. Went to school early to go visit Jesus in the chapel before 8:00am class. Class. Class. Home for a couple hours to work on paper. Class. Reading Aquinas on Human Nature. Class. Straight to teaching Catechism. Straight from Catechism to a meeting. Home around 9:45pm. Working on paper again.

I have to get up at 5:30am tomorrow so I can drive out to the airport and fly to my hometown for the weekend for a baptism. I still have to finish my eros/agape paper which is getting way out of hand. . . not in a bad way, just that now that I'm into it I have so much I want to say but I can't say it all and I'm not sure that I'm even making sense. I still have to pack. I should probably clean my bathroom. I need to do laundry but I think I'll just have to make do with what's clean already and do laundry when I get back on Monday. I should fit some sleep in there somewhere.

Anyways, that's where I'm at right now. Still alive but going a little insane. As long as I make it through to the end of the semester.

Does anyone else out there though ever stop and wonder what this madness of life matters in the eternal scheme of things? Being a student is such a weird stage in life, especially when you don't exactly see how it fits into God's plan. I'm spending hours and hours and hours writing papers and reading when will any of it matter when I die? I doubt it. Ok, maybe my paper on God's eros/agape and the Eucharist might be relevant, but my French foreign literature paper sure won't be.

On that note, back to my paper. Sorry, I needed to rant a little.