Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

WYD 2008 Theme

I don't know if I'll be going. Only God knows where I'll be at by 2008, but for what it's worth, the theme for World Youth Day 2008 is out.

Themes Picked for Youth Days of '06, '07 and '08
Benedict XVI Draws on Old and New Testaments
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 21, 2005 (Zenit.org)

Benedict XVI has selected the themes for World Youth Day for the next three years. The events in 2006 and 2007 will be at the diocesan level. The 2008 event, in Australia, will be international. In 2006, young people of the world will reflect on verse 105 of Psalm 119: "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path." The theme chosen for 2007 is from the Gospel, John 13:34: "Love one another, as I have loved you." The World Youth Day to be held in Sydney from July 15-20, 2008, will focus on the theme taken from the Acts of the Apostles (1:8): "You will receive power when the holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses." The news was confirmed in a letter of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, dated Nov. 28 and addressed to the "national representatives of WYD and international youth movements, associations and communities." A copy of the letter was posted by Korazym.org. In the letter, the Vatican council also invites the addressees to a meeting in Ciampino, Rome, next April 7-9, to review the Cologne World Youth Day and to begin preparations for the Sydney event. Representatives of the organizing committees of Germany and Australia will attend this meeting. Each country, movement, association and community can send two delegates.