Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Current Reading List

I figured I'd go home to my parents for Christmas, relax a bit, and tackle some of my personal reading list that has been growing exponentially. See, as a student, the reading list really does grow exponentially. First I have the books I've been meaning to read for a long time, then I have books that were referred to in class or mentioned by profs that sounded interesting, then I have books I've come across in research, and then there's always the classics that have been sitting on my shelves for years with the hope of reading them some day. For now, I think Tolstoy is going to have to wait.

This is my semi-realistic list for the next couple of weeks:

Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
(Father Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure / Saint Claude de la Colombiere)

Divine Mercy in My Soul: Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska

God is Near Us: The Eucharist the Heart of Life
(Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger - aka Pope Benedict XVI)

Beyond Gay
(David Morrison)

Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
(Fr. Thomas Dubay)

The Magician's Nephew
(C.S. Lewis)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
(C.S. Lewis)

Now that should keep me going for a while. I know it's an odd collection of books but there's reasoning beyind it all. Well, first things first, I should finish "God is Near Us" which I started in the summer and then had to put down because of all my reading for school. Furthermore, there's no way I'm going to get through the Divine Mercy Diary (which I've been reading for quite some time now too...) over the break and I don't intend to - it's not exactly something you want to fly through. As for the rest of it, maybe there's hope.

It's kind of sad. You go away to university and you have to read so much for your courses that you never get to read anything of your own. The key of course is to pick courses that interest you and then you get to read stuff that was on your reading list anyways (such as the Theology of the Body course I took last year or the Philosophy of the Human Person course I have coming up...). I remember the good ol' days though, back in about grade seven and eight when I'd read a novel a night and just stay up 'til two or three reading paper back novels. Granted, the reading was a little easier going. I think I read every book the public library had to offer for teens. Then again it's a small town and a small public library.

Anyways, instead of blogging about how I wish I had more time to read the things that I want to read, I'm going to sign off and go curl up in bed with a good book.

P.S. Going home, relaxing, and reading doesn't hasn't exactly worked out yet - somehow it turned into cleaning the house, wrapping presents and getting ready for Christmas instead.