Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Examining the Candidates

With the upcoming election, I decided I'd take some time to read up on the potential candidates for my riding. This is a quote I found on my current MP's (Mark Warawa) website from a speech he gave in the House of Commons:

"Mr. Speaker, the justice minister continues to leave our children at risk. He knows that experts are recommending that the age of sexual consent be raised from 14 to 16. He knows that international pedophiles are coming to Canada because we are one of the few countries that has an age of consent of 14.

When will the justice minister truly protect our children by raising the age of consent from 14 to 16?"

And furthermore, on the re-definition of marriage:

"The Prime Minister's plan to change the definition of marriage is an attack on Canadian society and is also attack on religious freedoms. . . Same sex-marriage is not a fundamental human right. . . Equal rights does not equate the same rights. . . [the Liberals] want to change the historical religious definition of marriage, a definition that predates government. . . Marriage is a historic union that predates government. It is time immemorial, a union of a man and a woman. It's more than just two people uniting. It's God being a part of it; enjoining the union according to His will."

I'd say he get's my vote. He's also an alumni from my university which is kind of need.

The thing is though, he won by a landslide when he was first elected not even two years ago. I think my vote might be more needed in my "hometown" riding where I grew up since the race there is going to be much tighter than where I'm studying right now. Since, technically, my parents address is my 'permanent' address (even though I haven't lived there for several years now) I can vote in that riding. I think I'll do an absentee ballot for there because my vote is probably more needed there.

It's still nice to know that there is a solid candidate for the riding I'm living in right now.