Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ice Cream and Pentecost?



You may wonder, what on earth does ice cream have to do with Pentecost? A lot. Well, not a lot, but there is a link. As I've mentioned before, a dear friend of mine recently entered the Poor Clare Sisters. They live a very simple life. However, apparently they can eat ice cream on solemnities. That is, if someone brings them ice cream (since they are cloistered and rely entirely on the generosity of others to bring them food). So, I decided that today, along with some "normal" food, I'd bring them some chocolate chip mint ice cream, since I know this is my friend's favorite kind. By the grace of God I just happened to show up with the ice cream in hand shortly before mid-day prayer and so I was able to join them in prayer in the extern of the chapel. I caught a glimpse of my friend from behind the grill for the first time since she entered. She smiled at me and was obviously having a hard time not laughing at me. The sister who had greeted me when I came in must have told her that I'd brought ice cream.