Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cascade Falls



I went hiking yesterday with some friends up above Cascade Falls. It was beautiful to be out in the woods and get some fresh air. My family goes hiking quite often and when I was a kid I used to whine and complain and definitely resist going hiking. Don't tell my parents. . . but as with many things they made me do as a child, I am now grateful they made me going hiking.

Yesterday was overcast but it wasn't raining so I can't complain. It was only about fifteen minutes up to the falls but then we hiked another two hours up an old logging road over a mountain and down into the valley where the river that led to the falls flowed down. We weren't expecting snow. Towards the end we were up to our knees in snow. Good thing it wasn't too cold. On the way up there were several rockslides across the old logging road that had creeks flowing down them and so I was jumping from rock to rock trying to avoid the water. By the time we came back down I was soaking wet already from going through the snow so I just walked straight through the creeks. Unfortunately I didn't have a change of dry clothes in my car. Silly me. Oh well. All in all it was a beautiful day and wonderful to get out in the fresh air. We were hiking for about three and half hours which isn't that long but it was steep so I definitely can "feel" it this morning.