Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Real Love

Today is "Valentine's Day." It's day for roses and fancy dinners and lots of kisses. At least, that's the image our modern society portrays. Today however, I've been reflecting upon a different image, I've been reflecting upon the most important lessons in love I've been taught.

This past year I learned a lot about love as an observer to my grandparents relationship. This year, as I watched my Oma's condition deteriorate I saw in my Oma and Opa's relationship the finest example of human love I have ever witnessed.

Spoon feeding your wife of over fifty years, for two hours a meal, three times a day
. . . that is love.
Sitting for hours on the couch holding her hand and telling her that you love her as she cries out in fear
. . . that is love.
Sleeping only three hours a night because your wife is screaming through the night
. . . that is love.
Kissing her on the lips and professing your love for her as she makes her way to bed for another sleepless night
. . . that is love.
Giving up your bed in the hope that your wife will sleep better there alone
. . . that is love.
Allowing dozens of strangers into your home so that your wife can be well cared for
. . . that is love.
Telling her you love her when she no longer knows who you are
. . . that is love.
Spending twelve hours a day by your wife's side when she's in respite care (the purpose of which is for you get a break)
. . . that is love.


The list could go on. . .