Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Another Day at Catechism

Catechism class today went much much better than last week. The kids were still very, umm. . .how shall we say. . .active, but that's ok. They're kids. It's normal.

I think they learnt a lot though. We reviewed the 'Our Father' and talked about prayer, what prayer is, why we pray, different ways we can pray. . . etc. I gave them a colouring sheet of St. Matthew and read them a story about St. Matthew (who's feast day is tomorrow!) while they drew. When I asked them at the end of the class who could tell me something about St. Matthew, all their hands shot up and I was amazed at how much they remembered! While learning about St. Matthew we also talked about the role of the saints. We also worked on making our "prayer books". Each week we'll be adding another prayer to our prayer books. I really want them to learn their basic prayers. This tied in well with our earlier discussion at the start of class on prayer. We finished up the class, as usual, kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament and giving prayers of thanksgiving (which are always so cute. . . the things seven year olds are thankful can be quite insightful. . .) and praying the Our Father together.

All in all, it went well. Some cute quotes too. . . one kid looked at me bright eyed and said "Guess what? My Grandma knows everything about God." The tone of voice was just so assertive and convincing, I had a hard time not laughing.

The children are truly treasures of the Church and teaching catechism to the little ones really strengthens my own faith. Thanks be to God for this opportunity.