Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Stormy Weather

I'm home at my parents for another week now and alive. Barely. The drive home was honestly the worst driving conditions I've ever been in...and people say that East Coast winter driving is bad... try the West Coast! It was pouring, and I mean absolutely pouring, rain the whole drive, it was dark so I had trouble seeing because of the lights of other vehicles reflecting the rain and the road surface, the wind was howling and I drive a small car that gets pushed all over the road, and to top it all off there were branches all over the place on the road. It's a very windy road that I have to drive between two ferries on the way up to my parents. Very very windy single lane in each direction. I'd turn the corner and what do you know, there'd be a four meter branch across the road in my lane. Branches on the BC West Coast are like small trees anywhere else. Speaking of trees, there were also three full grown trees covering half the road at different points, so that I'd have to drive in the oncoming traffic lane (on a windy road) to get by. One was caught up in electrical wires and was on fire!!! There were no emergency services, hydro people, or highway maintenance people on the scene anywhere because this was a very rural highway and the nearest town was an hour away. I couldn't even get cell phone reception so I don't know whatever happened to the burning tree! I usually pray the rosary when driving this road, and so I had started it, but after coming across the burning tree lying on the road, I said an act of contrition and the prayer to my guardian angel became my mantra for the rest of the drive! Anyways, I made it back home alive, despite the branches flying into my windshield and it now seems the storm has calmed down a bit. Thanks, now that I'm home it calms down...sheeeshhh...

Anyways, the conference was amazing and I have much to say about it but I'm going to go off to bed pretty soon and I'll enlighten you all tomorrow.