Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Friday, January 06, 2006

New Bishop of Whitehorse

The Vatican keeps stealing all our priests. Ok, I guess they belong to them in the first place anyways. Father Gary Gordon from St. Mary's parish in Chilliwack, BC, has just been named bishop of Whitehorse. Whitehorse has been without a bishop since 2000 so this is good news for the diocese.

For the third time in four years a priest of the Archdiocese of Vancouver has been chosen to become a bishop. On Jan. 5 Pope Benedict XVI named Father Gary Gordon, Pastor of St. Mary’s Parish in Chilliwack, Bishop of Whitehorse.

Bishop David Monroe of Kamloops (ordained March 12, 2002) and Bishop Richard Gagnon of Victoria (July 20, 2004) were also chosen from the archdiocese to be bishops in western Canada.

“I am deeply humbled, yet like all challenges, whether climbing mountains or pastoral ministry, it is another adventure of faith and life,” Father Gordon said. “Adventure always holds for me a certain trepidation which tests my frail humanity and my inner trust in God, so with a grateful heart for all I have received in the Archdiocese of Vancouver, I will generously endeavour to be a good steward of what God entrusts to me in this new ministry.”

For more information on the recent appointment check out the article from the B.C. Catholic Newspaper.

Congratulations and prayers go out to Father Gordon as he embarks on a new journey in his vocation!