Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Today's First Reading

Apparently I've never noticed this passage before
(from the first reading at Mass today):

"On the night of Pentecost, after I had buried the dead,
I, Tobit, went into my courtyard
to sleep next to the courtyard wall.
My face was uncovered because of the heat.
I did not know there were birds perched on the wall above me,
till their warm droppings settled in my eyes, causing cataracts.
I went to see some doctors for a cure
but the more they anointed my eyes with various salves,
the worse the cataracts became,
until I could see no more."
(For the whole reading see Tobit 2:9-14)


Poor Tobit. I'm sympathetic. Not that I've ever had birds poop in my eyes before, however I have taken a nap on top of a red ants nest by accident. That's a close runner up and also painful.