Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Cookies! Yummy!

I was in a baking mode this morning so I made six dozen of these cookies (I doubled the recipe). I stuck a couple dozen in my grandparents freezer, I'm bringing another couple dozen to a large family I know, and I dropped off a dozen with a card at the rectory for our new assistant pastor who just got here a few days ago.

The cookies turned out great and tasted yummy. I got them out of health cookbook my mom had on her shelf (I guess the brown flour and the oatmeal qualify them as 'healthy') but don't let that scare you, they taste good.

Oatmeal Cookies

1 c. (165 g) raisins
1 c. (327 g) water
3/4 (164 g.) oil
3/4 to 1 c. (136 g to 181 g) packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t (4.8 g) vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. (300 g) whole wheat flour
1 t. (3g) baking soda
1 t. (5.5 g) salt
1 t. (2.27 g) cinnamon
1/2 t. (1.5 g) baking powder
1/2 t. (1.1 g) ground cloves
2 c. (162 g) rolled oats
1/2 c. (59.5 g) chopped pecans

Combine raisins and water in saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes or until raisins plump, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving liquid. Add enough water to reserved liquid to measure 1/2 c. (118.5 g). Combine oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in bowl; mix well. Add reserved liquid; mix well. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves, oats, pecans and raisins. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 F (200 C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until brown. Remove to wire rack to cool. May substitute 3/4 to 1 c. honey for brown sugar. Yield: 78 servings.

Ok, so, supposedly it yields 78 servings for a single recipe but those must be pretty small cookies then. I doubled the recipe and ended up with about six dozen cookies. I also skipped the whole raisin thing because, well, first of all, not everyone likes raisins, and secondly, it just sounded like unecessary work to me. I substituted the raisins for chocolate chips. Much better.