Letters From a Young Catholic

My reflections as a Catholic young adult passionate about the Faith, seeking to grow in knowledge and understanding of God and discerning the will of the Lord in my life.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Holy Week Meme

I've been tagged by LAMLand with this appropriate meme.

Lent is almost over and this Sunday is Palm Sunday already! I thought it would be fun to share what we do special to commemorate the Passion and Resurrection of Our Lord.

1. What do you do with your new blessed palm from Palm Sunday?
Well, I just got back from Mass an hour ago and my "palm" (so to speak) is already tucked away nicely behind the crucifix which hangs over my bedroom door. Interestingly, we had small cedar branches this year as palms. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm worried it's going to turn brown and crumble.

2. What do you do with your old one from last year?
I brought the one from last year to the parish down the street before Ash Wednesday to be turned into ashes.

3. What do you do during Holy Week in preparation for Good Friday?
I'll be making a last ditched effort to adhere to my Lenten observances. I'll also try and fit in confession at some point. I'll try and make it to daily Mass and spend time in Adoration as well.

4. How do you commemorate Christ's Passion on Good Friday?
Fasting and abstinence, which we're all obliged to do (unless for reasons of health or age). I'm planning on going up to the Abbey for the Good Friday service up there. The monastic community puts so much effort and time into preparing the liturgy that it's really special to be able to be able to join them. It's also nice to get away from the chaos of life a bit and spend some time reflecting on the passion. I hope to go up early and walk around a bit and spend some time in prayer. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in the Stations of the Cross at some point on Friday as well.

5. When do you color Easter eggs?
I don't like eggs. No egg colouring for me. Although when I was little we used to colour them with crayons and then dip them in food colouring or wrap them in old nylons with red onion skins and boil them. The onion ones turn out really well. They look pretty.

6. When do you buy Easter candy?
I don't think I've ever bought Easter candy. I'm used to being at home for Easter (in which case the candy comes to me). I won't be spending this Easter with my family though so I doubt I'll get any candy. I don't really like candy and chocolate that much anyways, so I don't care.

7. What is the first thing you plan to do Easter morning?
Well, this Easter is different than other ones since I won't be home. I think there's plans of going to Boston Pizza after the Easter Vigil with some friends. That counts as the morning doesn't it? I'll probably get up and go to Easter morning Mass as well. I know, the Vigil counts, but I love the Easter Masses. After six weeks of Lent it's nice to be reminded that Christ is risen.

I tag whoever wants to do this. . .